Monday, May 24, 2010

Tombstone Trip

While on pause, I have decided to introduce the children to a bit of Arizona's interesting history.  Is there a better place to start than the infamously famous town of Tombstone, Arizona?  I think not.

Upon arrival we head straight to the famous Boot Hill Graveyard to see the most famous headstone of Lester More.  We are first stopped by the sign at the door.  "Unruly and unaccompanied children will will be caught and sold as slaves. Signed Wyatt Earp"  I catch a quick shot of the first three children I see.

It was after all, a three hour car ride! PHEW, I am glad it wasn't on a charted boat off the coast of Hawaii.  We might have gotten into some trouble.

After seeing all those headstones of people shot, murdered or otherwise removed from this life, we decide to get some lunch...Yes, a little morbid, but we really were hungry.


By this photo you might think it was a good ole' western Saloon, but no it really is just a restaurant and that REALLY is Sasparilla my kids are drinking.  Honest. What kind of a parent do you think I am.

After filling our tummies, we go check out some famous gun fight reenactments. One at a Gunfight show.  The other at the O.K. Corral.  Does this story ring a bell...ring-a-ling?  The Earp boys, Doc Holiday and the Clancey Brothers.

      My innocent children with guns. Alright, you can stay up late tonight and eat all the junk food you want!

    Doc Holiday, the Earp brothers and Me(The one with the smallest mustache...What? I'm 1/4 Italian!)
My kids refused to take pictures with these guys.  The other gunfight show must have been funnier...

After the photo op, we went for ice cream. (making good on my previous promise).  We saw part of the Bird Cage Theater (famous brothel/play/gambling house), The Epitaph (Newspaper still printing today) and The WORLD'S LARGEST ROSE BUSH.  Who knew it was in Tombstone.  Just had to see it, and yes it cost $5.


After teaching my children their history lesson for the day, we were spent. How much can a young mind absorb in one day? Saloons, Gambling, Bar Brawls, Gunfights, Murder, Brothels, "Cribs", Prostitution and of course the Enormous Rose Bush. It can be overwhelming to a young mind.   It was a very entertaining, educational and enjoyable day.   Maybe I will start to home school......Not Likely.






©ColleenFisher

No comments:

Post a Comment