Friday, November 5, 2010

Beethoven Who?

Brussels is home to over 80 museums, so we thought we would check out the Musical Instrument Museum (MIM).  I thought it was pretty amazing.

First of all the building the museum is in was designed by an architect named Paul Saintenoy in the art nouveau style.  No, I don't know much about architecture or this architect, but I am totally digging his style.  Dark wood and trim and door with marble tiling.  Very cool.

On to the museum.  You are giving headphone to wear and when you are standing in front of and facing the exhibit the music from that particular instrument plays.  There were instruments from India, Africa, China and of course Europe dating pretty far back.  (OK.  You got me. I can't remember the oldest musical instrument there.)

My children were definitely feeling the beat.  Hayden and Shea were shaking there little tushies all over the place.  No I didn't stop them,  I joined their ranks.  In fact there were other people dancing there as well.

I only took two pictures here.  After taking them, my friend informed me that they weren't allowed.  Whoops, but I wish I would have known that a little later.  Upstairs in the piano/harpsicord/guitar area was a piano that belonged to Beethoven.  That's right THE Beethoven.  Kind of amazing. I brought the kids over to the piano and told them, "This piano belonged to Beethoven."  Shea said, "The dog?" (a movie naturally) and Logan said, "No. don't you know who Beethoven is?...he painted the Mona Lisa."  Then proceeded to laugh hysterically. "Just kidding Mom, I know who he is."

Today we are going to talk about Beethoven.

©ColleenFisher

No comments:

Post a Comment