Monday, October 4, 2010

Deutchland Oktoberfest- Family Style

I love Autumn. It is my FAVORITE time of year. I love the smell of good-things baking, the feel of the crisp air, the sound of the leaves crunching under my feet and the ABUNDANCE of color. Autumn is my Spring.

This past weekend, we enjoyed this time of year in one of the most famous/infamous places known for it's "Fall Festival". Germany. We went to visit our friend Ron Hubscher in Stuttgart. We left right after school on Friday and drove east, through the beautiful Ardenne Mountain range and onto the autobahn. After a long scenic drive and an interesting wrong turn (given to us by our moody GPS guide that we have named B, short for Beatrice when she is helpful and good, short for something else when she is not) we arrive at our destination.

Ron is gracious enough to let us stay at his place. We not only stay, we take over. He gives us his bed and he sleeps on the couch. Nice guy, right. I think so.

Saturday morning we are on the train headed for the Volksfest. Yippee! It's around 10 a.m. and people are piling into the trains dressed in their finest lederhosen and dirndls, bottles of beer in hand. (Never wanted a drinkl so bad-some were really cute) Some drunk college age kid started talking to Hayden in Germany and Hayden runs over to me. I say we only speak English and his friend translates that his "tipsy" friend was trying to have a joke with Hayden about him being and old man. Obviously the joke didn't quite work out as well as he had hoped...lost in translation I guess.

The festival was alot like an enormous carnival. It reminded us of Lagoon in Utah. They even had a roller coaster that was exactly like the Colossus. Only Hayden and I braved the roller-coaster. Shea, Logan and Hayden enjoyed riding the "musical express" three times and doing the bumper cars. (Holy crap. I have never seen bumper cars move that fast before. Hello whip-lash!) The festival/amusement park even had a log ride set up. A fun time was had by all. I think my children's favorite part was the cotton candy. I was taking a picture of Shea when right on cue an obliging German jumped in. This picture makes me laugh every time I see it.

We enjoyed eating carnival food and taking in the spectacle. We ducked into one of the restaurants for lunch. Traditional 1/2 chicken, potatoes and apple soda. I was a little disappointed in the pretzel. I was hoping for large, warm, deliciousness. Got the opposite. Next time warm delicious pretzel, you will be mine.

We did peak in some of the "tents". Really they were Ginormous building chuck full of people. Lots of laughter, music and dancing. On the day we were there we only saw 4 ambulances. The Germans sure know how to have a party.

The next day we went to the gardens at the palace in Ludwigsburg. This palace has AMAZING gardens. They have this whole "children's" section set up with famous fairytale story rides and houses. We took a boat ride featuring the story of Pinocchio, saw the Frog Prince, Little Red and the Enormous wolf, and looked through the magic mirror. Shea was of course, the fairest in the land. Hmm. Does that make me the wicked step-mother? (Just depends on the day..ask my children. Rarrr!)

We picked the best day to go. They just happen to be having a fall festival. Gourds of every shape, color and size were there. Through out the grounds there were "statues" made up of gourds. We ate our picnic lunch in the sunshine and enjoyed a wonderful day.

I'm telling you, Autumn should be called Awesome. Just saying.

©ColleenFisher

2 comments:

  1. what an awesome day!! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like fun, wish we were there partying with you.

    ReplyDelete