Sunday, July 25, 2010

Brugge by Train

We chose to travel by public transportation and took our very first train ride: Destination Brugge.  I heard more people speaking English there today than I have since I left America.  Definitely a tourist town..   Met a teenager from Michigan who wanted to know if I knew where the dance parties were.  Not quite sure what to think about that.  I'm sure it is because I am so young and hip toting around 3 kid.

Our first and only planned stop was the Chocolate Museum.  Not quite what we expected.  We hoped to see well, more chocolate.  We learned about the pods/ tree where the beans are grown and the entire known history.  Saw teacups and frothers and molds Oh my.  When we thought are trip was in vain, we finally saw a demonstration on how chocolate was made and got to try a small piece.  Yeah.  Success.

It was a toss up between taking a horse drawn carriage or a canal boat tour.  All three children agreed on the canal boat tour through town. We were first on the boat and sat near the captain.  He talked to Hayden and Shea the whole time and Hayden even got to drive the boat.  Captain Hayden was so excited he specifically asked me to write about it on the blog.

Since Logan hasn't posed for many shot, I keep taking random photos of him and show him his funny looks. Today was no different until I said to  him, "Go stand by that door."  He walked over and pretended he was knocking on it. It gave us a good laugh.  Just so Random.  He is taking this move the hardest I think.  It was nice to see him at ease and himself for a bit.

 We walked to the Church of Our Lady which houses Michelangelo's Madonna and Child.  (I didn't know that until the canal boat guide told us) At the chocolate museum there was even a replica of it, made of chocolate of course.  All I thought was, "Another Mary and Baby Jesus". Little did I know the significance of this masterpiece, the only work of art to leave Italy while Michelangelo was still alive.  And I thought I came to Europe to offer culture to my children.  Apparently the Momma needs it just as much/more.  The Church was closed and there was plastic and scaffolding around the entire tower so we didn't see the statue.  But we really did though:  If a chocolate replica counts.  MMMmmm.

I debated writing about this next story, but it is my blog, so I am.  The children were all pretty tired on the way home from Brugge.  Logan and Shea were in the two seats behind me, attempting to sleep and Hayden was snuggling on Brent's lap directly in front of me.  Brent and Hayden were talking about tickling and how weird it was that you can't tickle yourself.  Hayden then said, "Dad, that's mostly true.  The only place I can tickle myself is here." as he grabs himself between the legs.  The German lady next to me starts dieing of laughter.  I turn to her and say, "Sorry about that,  he's a boy."  She struggles to say, "It's ok" between uncontrollable giggles.  Hayden immediately covers his face.  It was just so innocent and funny.  I don't want to forget the "little" things.

©ColleenFisher

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow Lady....I have been a little out of the loop! What a neat experiance for your family, love reading about what you guys are doing!

    ReplyDelete