Friday, July 16, 2010

Donated Glass, How thoughtful

The recycling in Belgium is Ubber complex.  First, you have to purchase specific bags at the grocery store that have a picture of Leuven on it.  If your trash is not in these bags it does NOT get picked up.  Second, different garbage/recycling come on different days of the week every other week, so if you forget to put your bag out you're stuck with it another 2 weeks.  Blue is for plastic bottles, cans and milk type cartons. Green is for yard items, fruits and vegetables.  Brown is for unrecyclable trash, the real trash.  Third, once a month young children come by and collect paper products for their different organizations (these are not to be thrown in any other trash bag).  Lastly, you take your glass bottles to specific glass recycling containers placed around town.  This is a new system to me and a bit time consuming, but one I think is a worth while effort and am glad to do.

By yesterday we had collected quite a few glass bottles, so the kids and I went for a walk to deposit them.  I found a green bin at the end of the main street and it had the recycle sign on it.  There was also a picture of a child so I thought maybe this bin helped one of the youth groups.  We opened the huge hinged lid.  (kind of like a mail box) and dropped in our bag of bottles.  Thud and the sound of broken glass.  I thought, "Hmm, I guess this bin was just emptied".  No big deal.

I went home and google translated one of the word on the bin.  It was textiles.  Yep, I think I just donated broken glass to a child, how thoughtful.

©ColleenFisher

1 comment:

  1. Pleasant Grove has just started recycling also. It is picked up every other week. We have a blue can for recycled products, (It doesn't need to be sorted,) and a grey bin for regular garbage.
    I have found that our regular garbage bin is very empty, and the one that only gets picked up every other week is full by the end of the first week. I think we need to trade the 2nd regular garbage can for a 2nd recycle one. I am happy our town is finally recycling!

    ReplyDelete